Geomagntic - Climate, page-84

1. 10,634 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 226
    1)
    You have answered your own question regarding the evidence that greenhouse gasses are the primary cause of warming. You stated "Yes, CO2 absorbs EM radiation in the 2.7, 4.3 and 15 micrometer wavelengths, increasing CO2 will therefore increase the opacity of the atmosphere to these wavelengths, the physics is not in dispute".

While I think you have rather paraphrased the physics in your statement, perhaps not entirely correctly, I agree that the physics for the greenhouse gas mechanism of warming is not in dispute.

2)
    You are disputing the evidence that planet temperature has been affected by greenhouse gasses, both in the short term and the long term.
    In both cases you are being overly simplistic and ignoring the other variables impacting on climate.

In the short term ENSO variability in particular affects the direct correlation with greenhouse gas levels. After accounting for that, volcanic activity and increased fossil fuel aerosol levels from around 1950-1970, climate science has demonstrated the relationship between greenhouse gasses and warming.

For the paleographic time periods, orbital and solar variables are also involved and were much different to today. Again, allowing for those effects the relationship between greenhouse gasses and temperature is evidenced.

So I would disagree with what you wish to state as "fact". The scientific evidence is that we DO have a reasonable predictive understanding of the current causes of climate change - within the stated uncertainty ranges in the IPCC report, which I would still argue as conservative, as it does not include allowance for the unknown worsening impact of tundra melt and methane release, nor increased CO2 release from increased forest fire activity with warming.

Now, for sure, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are simply incorrect in claiming your opinion, at contradiction with the science, is fact.

I think you need to read a bit more climate science, because based on your comments I think you are not aware of a lot of the scientific evidence and argument.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.