George Brandis worse than Ricky Muir, page-16

1. 7,590 Posts.
    Damn straight tinnitus.

Better not say too much about this particular 'dole for the elite' scheme. Some of the privileged rubbing shoulders with trust fund kiddie fraternity types might come after you.

This blog comment pretty much sums it up.

Gee Cr*key’s getting brave … wading into the murky swamp of Australian Arts Funding.

Everything that moves here is venomous Cr*key… from the chardonnay backstabber to the sycophantic daiquiri giggler, toxic to the core.

At the base of the food chain is a deep green slime of jealousy which provides the essential diet. As it passes up the heap it is transformed into anger and outrage, to gossip and scandal, only be eventually regurgitated as informed opinion.

There are real problems for emerging musicians in a place the size of Australia. Like rock and rollers of old the only way of building a career is to leave, usually permanently.

The idea of having a home based recording operation and making the effort to distribute Australian music internationally is a worthy goal. But from the figures you are quoting that is not happening. Production yes, sales and distribution - apparently not.

I am also wondering why the many sound engineers and facilities already available are not suitable. Or does it require a “special” sort of person? The right dinner parties? The right pronunciation of Tchaikovsky? Is the perfect schooled intonation required to be able to capture the essence of the shy and cosseted classicist.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not opposed to arts funding at all… heck no, I’m not a popular philistine by any measure. But I really think the funding should be directed to those who need support - the actual producers of art, the musicians, jugglers and spatterers. That does not include those few really nice clever and talented friends of Mitzi or Charli who would really like a job in the Yarts.

They should get serious money and that should be repaid when they are successful - or get a job driving a cab. Like HECS. But serious money and real help in getting their stuff on walls, on screens or on radio. This isn’t it.

As for a recording of the complete bloody Ring Cycle that’s a sufficient basis for a full Royal Commission I reckon.

READ THIS ->http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/04/05...or-a-tiny-record-label-with-powerful-players/

BUDGET EMERGENCY SCHMUDGET EMERGENCY!
    Last edited by Justlookin: 20/09/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.