ATC 0.00% 6.0¢ altech batteries ltd

I don't understand why safety should depend on architecture and...

1. 8,425 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 762
    I don't understand why safety should depend on architecture and not chemistry.

My information depended in part on the recent article:

Rudola, A., Sayers, R., Wright, C.J. et al. Opportunities for moderate-range electric vehicles using sustainable sodium-ion batteries. Nat Energy 8, 215–218 (2023).

I fear this article in the scientific journal Nature, though in the public domain, is behind a pay wall or accessible in a subscribing library. Emphasis in quotes is mine.

Note that Na-ion stands for Sodium ion and Li-ion for lithium ion.

"Aside from excellent in-operation safety characteristics for theNa-ion technology in general, inclusive of both robust abuse toleranceand high thermal stabilities . . ."

"Cu can oxidize, resulting in disastrous consequences, if aLi-ion cell is ‘overdischarged’ close to 0 V. This is the reason why suchLi-ion cells are actually between 2–2.8 V at their rated 0% SOC, thus,obviously not at ‘zero energy’. It is also why international regulations stipulate that all such commercially-available Li-ion cells are to be transported at ~30% SOC, incurring cost and decreasing the safety of such partially-charged cells.Na-ion cells are also inherently resistant to ‘overdischarge’ conditions (for Na-ion, overdischarge would be negative voltages). As explained previously, this overdischarge resistance will be important in packs, where several cells are connected in series: if some Na-ion cellsin the series string slip to overdischarge conditions, the result will not nearly be as hazardous as the analogous situation seen in Li-ion seriesstrings."

"The same working principle and manufacturing methodology for Na-ion and Li-ion batteries mean that Na-ion batteries are a drop-in replacement in any Li-ion battery manufacturing plant in existence currently."

In other words, the architecture of a Na-ion battery can be such that, though chemically different, it could simply be slipped in to the holder of a Li-ion battery in a vehicle factory.
    Last edited by jefferies2: 29/11/23

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ATC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
6.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $99.2M
Open High Low Value Volume
6.1¢ 6.1¢ 6.0¢ $23.31K 384.7K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
37 2830930 6.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
6.1¢ 710821 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 08/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
6.0¢
  Change
0.000 ( 3.23 %)
Open High Low Volume
6.1¢ 6.1¢ 6.0¢ 468709
Last updated 15.34pm 08/05/2024 ?
ATC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.