You need to think about how you use your car . How often do you...

1. 35,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    You need to think about how you use your car . How often do you use a full tank in one day ?

If you are an average Australian you do around 15oookm a year . That's 41km per day . So , the average Aussie rarely drives somewhere in a day where he uses all the fuel in his tank .
    Now , if that Aussie puts his car on charge when it is parked at home every night , that car will be fully charged the next morning . So it will always have a full tank , even though you don't necessarily need it .
    Compare that to how you use your ICE car . You don't go to the servo every day to put ten litres of fuel in it . That would be a pain in the neck . You wait till it's nearly empty before you fill up even though your next trip is probably only going to be a short one .
    With a regularly charged ev you might never have to go to a servo again .

See how that works ?

It will be spread the charging load of evs out progressively so we won't have these peaks that people are banging on about . Even though many will be topped up overnight , smart charging will manage that load . Then there's all the cars that sit at home all day . Obviously they can be charged by excess solar power which will probably become cheaper than nightime offpeak eventually .

In the event that you need to charge your car ( on a trip ) there will be plenty of capacity because of the management of all those other cars that don't need to be charged when yours does . Also , all those stationary cars that are plugged in will be able to export power to the grid for peak demand . As pointed out previously , that stationary storage is going to be that big that we may not need that much fixed storage .

I'm redoing the numbers as I think I'm getting them wrong . The storage numbers I'm working out seem to be too big .

85kwh ( .085mwh ) X 1000000 ( cars sales per year ) = 85000mwh of storage . The largest coal fired power station in Australia ( LoyYang A + B is about 3200 mw .
    90% of that storage will be idle at any one time . That is a huge amount of storage available to help balance the intermittency of renewables . Even if you limited your car's battery availability to 50% that would still over 40000mwh of storage available all the time .

That is a huge number unless I've got it wrong .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.