There is a bit of work going on in the large storage department....

1. 35,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    There is a bit of work going on in the large storage department. Here's an example :

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/07/18/worlds-biggest-grid-scale-battery-will-german-salt-mine/

There is also experimentation going on with compressed air in everything from balloons under water to unused ex underground coal mines . In the end whatever works about to be the cheapest on a large scale will be the winner I guess .

Getting back to standing storage because of evs , I previously questioned my own calculations but I have rechecked them since . It seems to me that after a few years of a 100% electric car fleet , whenever that is , the storage available will be ridiculously big . On top of that it appears that ev batteries have a second life as stationary storage where they retain around 80% of their capacity .

I reckon that after a decade or so of electric vehicles on the mass market we may not need to build any large commercial energy storage as we will have a huge excess of distributed stationary storage in both cars and houses .

The numbers are off the charts.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.