germany to speed nuclear energy exit, page-15

1. 761 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18
    Thanks for your tempered contribution, reganbaha.

Agree that currently an economic reliable baseload non-fossil/nuclear energy source is a challenge - as of today.

I have also been a bit cynical of spending money on yesterday's green technology - we would be better to speed the development of better technology by spending more money on R&D.

However, I have to admit that the advances in PV solar are outstanding, as it is now claimed to be more cost effective than current (and future) nuclear and will be cost competitive with coal by the end of the decade, if not earlier. Maybe there is a place for the 'market' after all! Energy storage is not technologically difficult, and maybe we won't have to wait long for real baseload renewable power.

And I do see a lot of statements of (apparent) 'fact' that nuclear is cheap. Maybe it is the colour of the glasses that I might metaphorically wear, but even the nuclear industry doesn't claim that.

Perhaps my perspective is one of looking more to the future (at risk of disappointment) than being constrained by realities of the past.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.