get it right, page-6

1. 4,941 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 147
    Hi Roberter,

I doubt it. I have supported the abolition of States and the amalgamation of council areas (to reflect provincial outcomes) since the early 80s (whilst at University).

Quite obviously, things like the Constitution would need to be changed, etc, as well as consieration given to bringing NZ into the fold (already, we are likely to have a common currency by late 2005, early 2006).

But, more importantly, the Senate would need to be changed to reflect the House of Provincials, and Ministers would need to be appointed at a Federal level to nominally cover off against either provincial or State outcomes.

Ever since Whitlam started the Regional Development programme in 1974 and started concentrating on Albury-Wodonga as a provincial growth corridor, the States have declined in political significance (even, if not yet recognised as such).

Prior to 1974, we had an External Affairs Minister who looked after all the external territories, including the ACT and the NT.

Fraser took Whitlam's vision one step further by setting up several Councils for Inter-Governmental relations. The Fraser administration also started appointing Ministers with specific responsibility for the ACT and for the NT (a tradition since continued with by all successive Governments).

Fraser also secured self-government for the NT, at a time when, ~2 years prior, Whitlam had steered PNG through to independence.

So, the scores are already there, and the mechanisms in place.

You could quite easily have Federal Ministers appointed to oversee State based outcomes, whilst retaining a representative legislature (for advisory and support issues) in the States.

Alternatively, you could completely abolish the States in favour of a provincial approach, organised on geographic, demographic, and municipal influences (ie: the Green Triangle in SA, the Murray Goulburn area in central Victoria, the Albury Wodonga growth corridor, the New England region of NSW, the upper Spencer Gulf and beyond regions of in SA, the Gold Coast and northern tablelands in NSW, etc).

If faced with a choice, I would prefer the provincial approach, but yet again, it will take another generation, or longer, to achieve.

In the meantime, we are left with people like Wayne Swan talking to the Fabians, the media lapping it all up, and the extremists hi-jacking our political, economic and societal potential.

No wonder Alpha is right in his assessment of the relative worth of politicians.

From a teen in the 70s through to an adult in the 80s and beyond, I long thought of a political career. But now, why would I bother. I wield more influence, and can secure a greater impact in business and throughout the corporate world, in the roles that I now occupy, than what I could likely achieve in politics.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.