getting the funk .

1. 768 Posts.
    Any ideas on good funk records/cds . I have alot of the older stuff and its certainly kickass material but looking for some progressive artists out there that might incorporate several influences like afro funk / xploitation is also pretty big on the list but most of my stuff is pretty old . Starting with Curtis Mayfield , there isnt much more you could add as he is a class act , I have looked on the net for some Curtis remixes , some do him justice others are just very overdone and dont seem to balance his music . Isaac Hayes in the same bracket , the original songs are fairly complete and his shaft theme is a classic , I have heard a few djs try and enhance his and others material like dj pogo . dj pogo should stick to pogo sticks as his name suggests and stear clear of music . Melvin Van Pebbles music is also great and there are a whole line of great xploitation artists back then but I havet been able to find a dj or recent outfit that really adds another dimension or cut to the original themes without overdoing it and turning it into a pizza with the lot . Massive Attack , a progressive outfit , most of their songs I dont really like suffice to say I have most of their albums as there are alot of interesting cross sections or beats . lead ups in their music that are interesting . safe from harm is a perfect song , its subtle and balanced in every way and when I logged onto a US music site that tried to mix country and western with this song I figured there was something seriously wrong , protection with the lead singer from ebgt is perfect as well , so is unfinished sympathy , they have strong connections from the past but they are well crafted songs .
    Miles Davis and Cotrane , also great artists but would like to hear fusion and if any one can point out some good modern artists , not your conservative 3Lo Jazz moderates that would be great .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.