gillard destroyed my life

1. 3,944 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 44
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/28/3255432.htm

The daughter of Northern Territory cattle queen Sara Henderson says the ban on live cattle exports to Indonesia was the final straw in her decision to put the iconic Bullo River Station up for sale.

Marlee Ranacher says the 160,000-hectare cattle property and tourism business near Timber Creek is no longer viable.

She says she feels numb to be selling the property, which has been in the family for three generations.

Ms Ranacher says she blames the Federal Government and, particularly, Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

She says the long wet season in the Territory was tough enough but it was the live cattle export ban that tipped the scales.

"Just as we were about to send some cattle off, with 24 hours' notice," she said.

"Most people get more notice when they lose a job, don't they?

"The entire industry was shut down and Ms Gillard and her Government spoke to nobody."

Bullo River Station stocks about 8,000 brahman cattle and the asking price for the property is believed to be about $20 million.

"I don't know what the future holds," Ms Ranacher said.

"If there is any way I can change this, I would," she said.

"But, basically, Ms Gillard has destroyed my life.

"If it takes me the rest of my life I will find a way to make sure she realises ... what a terrible thing she has done."

Ms Ranacher says the situation for pastoralists hit by the export ban is "absolutely desperate".

"Everybody is reeling from this decision and it is very hard to know what the future holds," she said.

"A great many people will literally not be able to put food on the table or buy diesel to generate their own power and water their cattle."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.