girl chucked off west gate bridge, page-78

1. 3,795 Posts.
    The Death penalty is one of the issues being discussed with regard to this particular incident , It is looking like the most inappropriate case in which to even discuss death penalty , despite the rather chilling actions of the father . Fortunately , we as a Nation do not support the death penalty for any action , if ( and its a big "if) what I read in the papers is true Im fairly sure the individual concerned here would probably take a lethal drug dose , if it were offered to him . Nearly impossible to imagine the pain he will suffer for his actions over the remainder of his life .

What would the death penalty achieve if it were used in this case ? ..Are you telling me it would STOP others throwing their children off bridges ? or harming , murdering their children ? Unfortunately it would achieve nothing , other than the death of a 35 year old man who fairly obviously has a lot of issues to deal with .

The role of the media I felt was rather interesting , was surprised to see the mans unpixulated photo on the front page , the story was presented in " Today tonight " type terms even by most commentators on the ABC . How will this case every go to trail ? Who here on hotcopper could reasonably sit on this jury ? I found this rather tabloid approach rather difficult to deal with .

The other interesting role is that of the Family court . What drove this man to his actions ? Did he pre plan what he did ? or did something happen in that Car ? ..Why just the little girl ? The Family court has improved , but it started from a very low base , with a rather Anti- Man style of philosophy , unlike so many other cultures . Why has our culture been so Anti - Man ? Why has traditionally their been so much support for the female ? , Now the court would would say they " always act in the interests of the children first " ..personally I know this is simply not true , Why do we seem to have this thought that all starts with the mother ?

This tragedy brings to the fore so very many issues , It makes me physically ill when I think of that little girl , I think of my little daughters ( when the were little) and how dependent they are on you , the terrible breach of trust that has occurred , the cowardly action its self , simply horrendous . But why have so many men either killed themselves or harmed their children ? especially when friends and family have described them as wonderful fathers .

This incident brings to the surface some major issues within our Society / Community , many will just look at the incident itself .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.