BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

glaxosmithkline update: influenza a (h1n1), page-11

1. 757 Posts.
    Porta,
    THANK YOU

As a result of your peramivir comment, I did a routine search for the articles that I base my opinion on. They are all fairly old. But the science doesn't change.

I also factor in my opinion that peramivir trials have involved higher and higher concentrations,100mg, 150mg, 200mg, 300mg, and the latest, 600mg. The latest being the phase2 and 3 trials in Japan. But no actual results have been released, which also fuels my suspicion, but might instead shoot me down when releasd.

And then I found THIS,

Emergence and spread of oseltamivir-resistant A(H1N1) influenza viruses in Oceania, South East Asia and South Africa

Abstract

The neuraminidase inhibitors (NAIs) are an effective class of antiviral drugs for the treatment of influenza A and B infections. Until recently, only a low prevalence of NAI resistance (<1%) had been detected in circulating viruses. However, surveillance in Europe in late 2007 revealed significant numbers of A(H1N1) influenza strains with a H274Y neuraminidase mutation that were highly resistant to the NAI oseltamivir. We examined 264 A(H1N1) viruses collected in 2008 from South Africa, Oceania and SE Asia for their susceptibility to NAIs oseltamivir, zanamivir and peramivir in a fluorescence-based neuraminidase inhibition assay. Viruses with reduced oseltamivir susceptibility were further analysed by pyrosequencing assay. The frequency of the oseltamivir-resistant H274Y mutant increased significantly after May 2008, resulting in an overall proportion of 64% (168/264) resistance among A(H1N1) strains, although this subtype represented only 11.6% of all isolates received during 2008. H274Y mutant viruses demonstrated on average a 1466-fold reduction in oseltamivir susceptibility and 527-fold reduction in peramivir sensitivity compared to wild-type A(H1N1) viruses. The mutation had no impact on zanamivir susceptibility. Ongoing surveillance is essential to monitor how these strains may spread or persist in the future and to evaluate the effectiveness of treatments against them.

Received 13 January 2009;
    revised 2 March 2009;
    accepted 4 March 2009.
    Available online 24 March 2009.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2009.03.003

To celebrate I've just posted a link in the Biocryst thread at Yahoo Financial where I've had to endure brainless cheering for peramivir instead of the kind of informed posting we have become accustomed to here. I'm expecting a BCRX implosion on monday. Ha Ha Ha.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.