global warming and antartica

1. 29,657 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    some poster the other day, mentioned that there was more ice in antartica, than ever before. watso has has no idea if this is true or not, but the following article would tend to dispute that

The glaciers here on King George Island have shrunk by 10 percent. Some in Admiralty Bay have retreated by 25 kilometers. You know how the Larsen B ice sheet collapsed several years ago and disappeared within weeks the size of Rhode Island, 87 kilometers, he said.

Here is the rest of Bans statement at Antartica:

What alarms me is not the melting snow and glaciers, alone. It is that the Larsen phenomenon could repeat itself on a vastly greater scale. Scientists here have told me that the entire Western Antarctic Ice Shelf the WAISis at risk. It is all floating ice, one fifth of the entire continent. If it broke up, sea levels could rise by 6 meters or 18 feet. Think of that. And it could happen quickly, almost overnight in geological terms.

This is not scare-mongering. I am not trying to frighten you. According to recent studies, 138 tons of ice are now being lost every year, mostly from the Western Ice Shelf.

That deep blue water absorbs more heat than sea covered with ice. The sea ice around Antarctica is vanishing too.

There are other deeply worrying signs. The penguin population of Chabrier Rock, a main breeding ground, has declined by 57 percent in the last 25 years. It is the same elsewhere. What will happen to the annual march of the penguins in the future? Will there even be one?

Grass is growing for the first time ever here on King George Islandincluding a grass used on American golf courses. It rains, increasingly often in the summer rather than snows.

These things should alarm us all. Antarctica is a natural lab that helps us understand what is happening to our world. We must save this precious earth, including all that is here. It is a natural wonder, but above all, it is our common home.

It is here where our work, together, comes into focus. We see Antarcticas beautyand the danger global warming represents, and the urgency that we do something about it. I am determined that we shall.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.