NeilI think you are right that cities are generally a couple of...

1. 174 Posts.
    Neil

I think you are right that cities are generally a couple of degrees warmer than the surrounds. Looking in more detail, I think what I was referring to was the following from IPCC:

"Studies that have looked at hemispheric and global scales conclude that any urban-related trend is an order of magnitude smaller than decadal and longer time-scale trends evident in the series (e.g., Jones et al., 1990; Peterson et al., 1999). This result could partly be attributed to the omission from the gridded data set of a small number of sites (<1%) with clear urban-related warming trends. In a worldwide set of about 270 stations, Parker (2004, 2006) noted that warming trends in night minimum temperatures over the period 1950 to 2000 were not enhanced on calm nights, which would be the time most likely to be affected by urban warming. Thus, the global land warming trend discussed is very unlikely to be influenced significantly by increasing urbanisation (Parker, 2006). ... Accordingly, this assessment adds the same level of urban warming uncertainty as in the TAR: 0.006°C per decade since 1900 for land, and 0.002°C per decade since 1900 for blended land with ocean, as ocean UHI is zero."

So the temperature rise attributed to the urban heat effect is 0.006 degrees per decade, or an order of magnitude less than the warming trend of the last 100 years.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.