You miss the point Nickel completely. Markets are now...

1. 13,176 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 25
    You miss the point Nickel completely. Markets are now increasingly being driven by food security not food quality. Quality comes second to security. Better fed than dead.

This is not about the consumer this is about the producer. For without production there is no consumption. The market power is now with producers and this will continue to trend and strengthen this way as long as the price of oil climbs higher. Farmers don't really care whether they sell to a human or a car, just so long as they make money. They need fat in their business for when drought years hit so its important to maximise profitability every year.

If I was given the choice to eat GM over conventional at the supermarket I would choose GM because:

A. It will be cheaper than conventional and healthier.
    B. It will contain enhanced nutritional attributes such as high oleic oilseeds, omega 3 rich oilseeds, trans fat free oils, gluten free wheats, the list can go on.
    C. I know the crop will have had a fraction of the herbicides and pesticides sprayed over it.
    D. Better for the environment as less chemicals used. Eg GM cotton uses a third of the pesticides of conventional. Cottonseed has been one of the most common oils used by the Australian food manufacturing sector for years.
    E. Lower fossil fuel dependency because less herbicides are used.

The problem the debate has always centred on the consumer when in fact not enough respect is given to the problems the producer has. His problems in this market will ultimately be yours either through unreliable supply or hyperinflated prices.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.