VOC 0.00% $5.49 vocus group limited

god news day!

1. DSD
    15,757 Posts.
    What a difference a day makes. Took a caning this week on WOR (short) and VOC my biggest long position.... and then Mr Mkt reads articles like this in today's papers and woooooshka the SP flies! Worth reading the entire piece but the 2 last sentences are key. Absolutely friggin key to why VOC has a good couple of yrs ahead and was oversold. Let's hope I'm not being too optimistic.
    PS. Look for more additional info on this thread in subsequent posts.

from today's Oz:
    Founder says Vocus needs to change as coup collapses

James Spenceley with Geoff Horth in happier times. Picture: Hollie Adams
    Vocus Communications founder and former director James Spenceley says the telco’s board needs to lift its game to quell future shareholder unrest after the spectacular failure of an attempted boardroom coup yesterday.
    Mr Spenceley and fellow board member Tony Grist surprised investors yesterday with their sudden exit from Vocus after failing in a plot to unseat the telco’s chief executive Geoff Horth.
    Vocus shares hit a 13-month low on the news before recovering some ground to end the session 2.5 per cent weaker at $5.49.
    “Both Tony and I believed that a change was needed and we didn’t have a huge amount of faith in the CEO,” Mr Spenceley told The Australian. “Our view is that the company would be better served by a fresh set of eyes, by someone who hasn’t been previously involved with either M2 or Vocus.”
    Mr Horth, who took charge of Vocus in February, declined to comment yesterday.
    The tensions underscore Vocus’s growing pains. Through a series of acquisitions, including last year’s merger with M2 Group, it has rapidly transformed from a niche operator to a $3.5 billion full-service telco.
    The boardroom tussle was instigated by Mr Grist, the founder of Perth-based Amcom that merged with Vocus last year, who proposed a change at the top, citing the need for an executive shake up. Mr Grist told The Australian that he was preparing to exit Vocus even before the succession plan was put to the telco’s board.
    “I was going to retire at the next AGM, but then the board asked me what would be required to keep me there,” he said.
    “I put forward my plan and when it was not accepted decided it was time to go.
    “James was sort of collateral in this process. He backed my proposal but the board wanted to give Geoff some clear air and asked James to leave,” he added.
    The plan proposed by Mr Grist would have seen Mr Spenceley elevated to a more hands-on technical role at the telco and the appointment of a new chief executive in early 2017.
    Mr Grist said that his concerns were driven by a number of factors, and given the nature of Vocus’s business, the company needed someone with a better understanding of the infrastructure side of the business.
    “There’s also a lot of churn of customers and it was all a bit opaque about where things were going,” he said.
    “Vocus is a good business, it has unique assets and the board has a plan, but they didn’t articulate it to me very well.”
    Both Mr Spenceley and Mr Grist had been steadily selling down their stake in Vocus prior to the boardroom bust-up. Mr Spenceley sold down the majority of his shares, worth around $26.6 million, and Mr Grist offloaded around $10m worth of shares in August. Both are now putting their money into new ventures, with Mr Spenceley setting up a funds management business MHOR Asset Management. Both executives have also made a joint multi-million-dollar investment in South Australian wireless broadband firm Uniti. Mr Spenceley, who was instrumental in building up Vocus, said he doesn’t have any regrets about his decision to force the issue on leadership.
    “Well, when you make a call for change like this you have to be prepared to back yourself and accept the consequences.
    “But it was all in the open, there was no subterfuge and we have parted amicably.”
    However, veteran telco investor and one of the largest private shareholders in Vocus, Philip Cornish, is bemused by the lack of confidence shown by the pair in Vocus’s current senior management.
    “Geoff Horth has been a great CEO at M2, he’s doing a great job at Vocus and he has great track record when it comes to integration,’’ Mr Cornish told The Australian.
    “He has successfully delivered with the Commander and the Call Plus acquisitions.”
    With Vocus set to close its $807m Nextgen acquisition in a few weeks, Mr Cornish said he was confident that despite the scale of the integration the team led by Mr Horth was up to the task.
    The one thing all three executives agree on is that Vocus has been caught up in the whirlwind of negative sentiment generated by TPG Telecom’s latest guidance. TPG’s shares were pummelled last month after the telco downsized its earnings forecast, citing the impact of the NBN.
    Speaking to The Australian last week, Vocus chairman David Spence said there was nothing wrong with the telco’s fundamentals and the impact of the NBN on Vocus would be very different to that on TPG.
    “We don’t have the same issues as your TPG or Telstra when it comes to the NBN, and while there’s a lot of noise on the books, I am entirely comfortable with our financial statements,” he said.
    Citi analysts have backed Mr Spence’s position, telling clients that Vocus should not be significantly impacted by the NBN.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s/news-story/3a140740cb311aa40d504c50b5d6372f

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VOC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.