god's will you say?, page-37

1. 11,511 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1153
    My father used to quote Omar Khayam i think it was :
    " Beware that limitless bowl we call the sky ,
    under which men live and die ,
    In despair pray not to it
    for it cares not for you and I "
    By the way my father was a survivor of the Japanese prison camps and said he lost any notions of "faith" he had previously after he and others prayed ......not for themselves but prayed for their dying friends .......and nothing happened
    He endured 4 amputations with a handsaw .....progressive gangrene and in larer years described himself as a humanist .He would not allow his children to be baptised .......instead gave us copies of the Bible ,the Koran ,Buddhist texts , Bahai books and told us to read ,think and choose for ourselves what path we would follow . His strongest advice to me as a child ...." you cannot and must not hate anyone ......and you must never hold onto anger ......you must let it go or it will eat you from the inside" ...... I grew up to be a practicing Buddhist and have found most comfort and solace in meditation .
    Another thing he used to quote I think was from Tennyson ....." Self Reverence ,Self Knowledge and Self Control ...these three alone lead one to sovereign power "

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.