GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Gold about to erupt, page-1195

1. 7,702 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 11
    Black Monday Oct 1987 was one (1) day - admittedly an unprecedented one day crash - of 22.6%.
    I was working literally next door at the time (30 Broad St ) for JP Morgan Guaranty Trust Co on a Foreign Exchange system.
    On the Friday before we (on Wall St.) all knew something (bad) was going to happen, but not clear exactly what.
    In any case, the size of the plunge led to the introduction of circuit breakers, and was attributed to program trading and something now forgotten (if ever even known) - portfolio insurance.
    After Mkt Close, the scene outside NYSE was like a train wreck...extensive media coverage, and the usual suspects proclaiming the death of capitalism etc. They were wrong. The longest bull market in American history continued until 1999 (NYSE), March 2000 (NASDAQ) were the highs, that culminated the mani of the so-called tech bubble (which it wasn't).
    It should be noted that that despite this unprecedented one day plunge , the DJIA ended UP on the calendar year 1987. Check it out. So, for those who carelessly and erroneously bring this up, are you expecting a net DJIA / S&P 500 gain for the year? I don't think so.
    I don't know why people keep bringing this up....it's irrelevant....furthermore, on a historical chart, it's barely a blip. Maybe someone can explain the relevance of that incident to the current global financial situation. I doubt it, but will wait patiently. BTW, there is no relevance.
    There may well be a seismic one day plunge, and perhaps far worse, but the current situation bears no resemblance whatsoever to October 1987.
    Black-Monday-the-Stock-Market-Crash-of-1987-NYT.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.