GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Loki01 wrote : "The rise of the AUD is more of a worry than the...

1. 975 Posts.
    Loki01 wrote : "The rise of the AUD is more of a worry than the fall in the USD POG"

Yes, that is very true.

While a high A$ may be good for those Australian gold mining companies wishing to purchasing plant & equipment from oversees to actual dig the earth and process it. The labour costs, the taxes imposed, administration cost, insurance costs and what not, are a much higher percentage of the total cost to produce an ounce of gold when compared to a gold mine, say, in Africa or Chile or Brazil.
    What I see happening by the A$ going higher is that overseas investors will not be wanting to invest in Australian gold mining companies, but rather in third world gold mining companies.

News that I hear today is that Brazil, et al. are in a currency war with the USA. That is, that they are all trying to devalue their currency, so as to boost exports.
    If this goes on, then Australia's mineral based commodities exports are doomed, we will have simply overpriced ourselves out of the market.

Food based commodity exports, on the other hand, may survive, as long as there is a worldwide shortage of food. Only trouble with that is, though, the people that need the food the most are the one's that can't afford it. But that's another issue for a different forum.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.