GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Apology, bigredroo if that came across as arrogant, it was just...

1. 568 Posts.
    Apology, bigredroo if that came across as arrogant, it was just meant as banter.

(get off the turps, lol OMS)

The worth of gold (or silver) is quite reasonable to challenge, but I suggest that you need to think about what it has been used for in the long past, and why it remained stubbornly of value even after its monetary function was methodically stripped away by short term governments and bankers who had a vested interest in doing so.

When you ask whether someone will be able to barter for vegetables with a little bag of gold dust in a collapsed economy - yes, I imagine that's exactly what they could do.

On another thread you're questioning whether gold securities would be tradeable in a crashed market. I would think that a crashed market would very soon operate again, and some sectors of securities would still be liquid. Gold securities might crash with everything else initially as owners liquidate to meet obligations elsewhere, or just get out and into cash. But why should securities stay crashed if the asset behind them is holding or gaining in value? If the value of gold is going up then, other factors aside such as costs, a gold-mine successfully mining gold should increase in value as should its shares. The example often trotted out is Homestakes Mining during the depression, where dividends alone more than justified a pre-crash position, but additionally the share-price went up many fold. However that was a deflationary depression, the price of gold was fixed, and the US was still on a gold standard.

So my next move in a crash, as you ask, would be to hold gold securities, and only exchange some when I needed fiat currency.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.