BDR 0.00% 6.5¢ beadell resources limited

Gold price, page-9215

1. 445 Posts.
    I hold only 3oz of gold coin but have 99oz of silver coins, all bought at relatively low prices in Q3 2016, but is now higher than current prices. Even so, if I make a nice cap gain from trading BDR, I might consider topping up on gold coins.

Prior to buying, I did my research on bullion traders and read commentaries on bullion risks, esp. counterfeits. Seems that counterfeit gold coins are rather common. Many buyers have been conned. In the end, I decided to buy from established companies and pay slightly higher prices for the peace of mind that the bullion purchased is genuine. A form of a one-off insurance premium.

For me, physical bullion is a very long-term investment, like investing in land, so price fluctuations are just noise. I buy bullion as a safety net against the collapse of currency. It is an insurance, but unlike regular insurance policies, the cost is one-off and can be recouped over a longer timeframe.

The cost recoupment advantage is disregarded in every critique I've read on investing in gold. Seems like the critics prefer to go down the easier path of regurgitating widely known info rather than taking the effort to build deeper analyses on the difference and uniqueness of investing in gold in contrast to other asset types.

Another disregarded factor is that only gold and land investments have proven stable over a timeframe that spans generations. All other investment types rise to shine like stars and then fall away like meteors over such an extended period. But the practicalities of custody over an such a timeframe give rise to interesting challenges. One is portable, the other is not. One can easily be stolen or lost, the other not so easily. Also, there is sound commentary given on properly treating gold as a non-diminishing investment asset rather than as a trading commodity.

What I've noticed is that most critics do not see beyond their personal investment timeframe. (Also, they do not see beyond the currencies of their own countries.) There are investors who embrace a far longer timeframe because they plan for the next generation. Usually, these investors come with different family values or from other cultural backgrounds and they trust land and gold more that they trust what to them are "those exotic assets".

So as not to be influenced by the views of such critics, I bear in mind these and more factors when I do an update reading on physical bullion investment. Cheers. R.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BDR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.