GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

RSG has high debts weighted in USD Europe policy makers told...

1. 800 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    RSG has high debts weighted in USD

Europe policy makers told their 19 members to accept Syrian refugees otherwise they'll face tougher financial bailouts.

US Republicans do play a hard ball game. Why they're always go against other countries.

Let's see my bible working with my 1% chance.

Senjem signs letter to keep Syrian refugees out

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on pinterest_shareMore Sharing Services2

Heather J. Carlson, [email protected] |Posted 1 week ago

A group of Minnesota Republican senators are urging DFL Gov. Mark Dayton to block Syrian refugees from relocating to the state until it can be guaranteed there is no gap in the screening process.

A total of 18 senators, including Rochester Sen. Dave Senjem, signed the letter, which was sent to Dayton on Tuesday. The letter states that "While we are sympathetic to the plight of Syrian refugees, we must be careful not to act on emotion without consideration for the safety of our constituents."

Senjem was not immediately available Wednesday for comment. Two other GOP senators in Southeast Minnesota — Sen. Jeremy Miller of Winona and Sen. Carla Nelson — did not sign the letter. Miller said during an interview that he generally doesn't sign these types of letters, but he supports temporarily halting acceptance of Syrian refugees.

"My current position is I support a pause in the process until we can be assured by the federal government that refugees will be thoroughly vetted and will not present any harm to our homeland," he said.

Miller added he would like to learn more about the vetting process. Nelson could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

The Republican senators' letter follows one sent earlier to Dayton by GOP House Speaker Kurt Daudt also calling on Dayton to block resettlement of Syrian refugees in the state. But the letters are unlikely to change Dayton's mind. The governor has repeatedly stated that he has been assured by the Obama administration that refugees already undergo extensive screening. In a letter to Daudt, the governor wrote, "I share your belief that we must be vigilant in keeping Minnesotans safe; however, I believe we can do so, while continuing to be a state — and a nation — that offers immigrants a better future full of hope and opportunity, not fear and prejudice."

More than half of the nation's governorshave said they oppose allowing Syrian refugees to settle in their states. States seeking to block these refugees include Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas and Florida. Even so, immigration experts say the Refugee Act of 1980 prevents governors from being able to block refugees from settling in their states. Since 1979, nine Syrian refugees have been relocated in Minnesota, including a family of seven that recently arrived in Rochester.

This week, a group of 24 DFL elected officials signed an open letter to Syrian refugee families welcoming them to the state. The letter states, "Terrorists will not dictate our policies toward refugees, and they most certainly will not dictate our compassion."

No Southeast Minnesota Democrats signed the letter. Rochester DFL Rep. Tina Liebling said she is not sure whether she received the letter. She said she strongly backs the idea that Syrian refugees be allowed to settle in the United States. Liebling said statements by officials against allowing these refugees into the state amount to nothing more than "grandstanding" since states do not have the authority to keep refugees out.

She added, "People want to make this a political issue and try to incite fear in the American people to turn our backs on these victims of terror? I just am ashamed of my country if that is the position we are going to take."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.