GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

You know I've been thinking about this store of wealth...

1. 957 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 155
    You know I've been thinking about this store of wealth thing....

Go back 40 yrs and $100 would have bought you?

Same $100 dollars would buy today?

In the 80's you would know that it would have been 2 X $50 notes, as the hundred note was not printed yet.

If you bought $100 of gold back then what is the value today?

Gold had spiked in the late 70's and early 80's and was about $440 by the close of 82.

So about a quarter ounce of gold. Today that quarter ounce is worth $440

Yet your $100 now would buy what? A lot less then back then.

Yes you could have been smart and invested that money with an average return of 5% and made more. About $200 more but...

as a "stored value" without investment just pure and simple to keep the variables to a minimum (as you can trade gold too) you can easily see gold appreciated in value and money lost value without effort. Over that time span. That's why gold is a store of value.

Now this is where gold has not kept up.

If you had $5000 dollars stashed away in your walls for safekeeping it would definitely not buy you the same today that $5000 would have bought a top of the range SS Commodore with a lot of fuel money.

If you had put $5000 dollars worth of gold away it would be worth $20000 today. Obviously gold is a long way down on a new SS if they were still made but never the less it's better than nothing. Gold in that aspect has not kept its value. Although in 82 it was at a five year or so peak for gold. Either side of this time would have brought much better yields. Chose this time as it shows both sides of the story.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.