GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

"Interesting article anyones thoughts? " The article doesn't...

1. 7,423 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 152
    "Interesting article anyones thoughts? "

The article doesn't make much sense to me.

- COMEX doesn't list a Jun17 Silver Call option contract. The article doesn't indicate whether it is another exchange or OTC;
    - The COMEX May17 $21.00 Silver Calls settled at 7.8 cents on 20 February (which is a good deal cheaper than the 16.3 cents reported on these unidentified Jun17 $21.00 Calls.

I am sure there is a good reason for these discrepancies, but haven't found it yet.

Accepting the article at face value...

I doubt very much whether these trades are intended to form part of a Strangle. For a trade of this size with no corresponding trades in related legs, it looks to me like someone has sold a simple "Covered Call".

The Covered Call strategy is used by a long term owner of silver who is convinced that the price of silver is not going to trade as high as $21 before June. Holding this view, they think that it is safe to sell the options and pocket the premiums.

Is this a good trade?

Precious metal vols spent most of 2016 under 20% and have recently spiked up to around 25%, so it might be a good opportunity to sell if you think that 2017 is going to much the same as 2016. I am prepared to bet that there are a few Silver investors on HC who don't think that.

Cheers
    Last edited by timber1956: 21/02/17

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.