GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

"Yeah I'd call picking the bottom of a trend, trend trading." I...

1. 7,702 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 11
    "Yeah I'd call picking the bottom of a trend, trend trading."
    I think the key is to look for reversals (Steve Nison (Mr. Candlestick who introduced candles to the West with whom I did a 4 week class) claims that is what they are best at. Some here will - and have - dispute this (and multi candle patterns, and quickly go to a web site whose name I've forgotten, and then produce the probability of their accuracy (or inaccuracy)).

Regardless, yes, one looks for reversals, yes, but not necessarily at the top / bottom of a trend...trends vary on duration, hourly (or less), daily, weekly etc, as you've indicated.

Some claim gold has reversed its L/T downtrend since 08/2011. As a gold long, I too would like to believe this. If I'm wrong, I will bail. That others have already bailed tells me they are active traders (I think swing traders is the right term). Nothing wrong with that. Quite respectable. It's what I want to be when I grow up. I suggest most on HC are "active traders", just look at the immense popularity of the DT and STT Forums, with their pre and post market threads, their weekend lounges etc.

The bottom of a trend is trend trading? How do you know it's the bottom of the trend? I need to know this, to stay solvent!
    There might well be a spike up from 1206.6 (Friday intraday lo, and not 1210) up 20 points, and then back down to 1,190 (16 Feb)....or lower. Of course its only a daily chart you are looking at.
    Longer term, it's nothing.

They say buy low, sell high. I don't what what is low and what is high. Meaningless terms, low and high.
    I prefer sell higher than what you bought it. That makes more sense to me.
    Can even buy high and sell higher (much the same thing), a momentum trader. And no shame in that, none. It's what the entire so-called tech mania aka "dot com bubble" of 1998-1999 was all about...it didn't matter what you bought, or when, when everything was rising. I did it (but only with the best stocks, in all seriousness, I understood the technology, except for the complexity of Fiber Optics components, but there, I had my own guru, George Gilder). They all rose.....The only difference was whether it was 1,000% (EMC, JSDU others) in 1999, or 2,619% (QCOM)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/03/b...99-extraordinary-winners-and-more-losers.html
    Anyway:
    "We Await..."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.