GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Exactly. Price is no more than supply meets demand. Nothing...

1. 4,679 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 145
    Exactly. Price is no more than supply meets demand. Nothing sinister or corrupt. If players wish to sell the market then down it will go unless there are other players that wish to buy the market.

I've never really understood the notion of manipulation when speaking about the price of a stock/commodity. A free market determines the price, full stop. It is pointless arguing that is should be doing X when the market chooses to do Y.

Manipulation is everywhere but not directly in the price. It is spreading stories - interpretation of global events/forecasts - that seem credible to most readers - where the instigator takes a position opposite to the price direction suggested by the story. Now that is manipulation but I'm not sure it could be challenged in reality. Just opinions, would be the defence.

I view other forms of manipulation is Directors spreading gossip (illegal but surely it happens) and collusion among banks to set benchmark rates. I think that type of collusion (bank rates) is different to collusion to drive down a commodity/or SP due to commodity and SP are open to a free market while setting benchmarks is a closed shop.

If I sell heavy to drive price down to a certain level with the intent of buying up when it reaches a certain level (when I think the market is exhausted) that is not manipulation it is trading. Not dissimilar to a wholesaler flooding a market with cheap goods to clear a warehouse before stocking up with a more expensive and desirable items.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.