GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Once again Skol - you are picking a time frame to suit your...

1. 3,268 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 955
    Once again Skol - you are picking a time frame to suit your argument. With comparisons like these, you have to take the periods which are relevant to your circumstances.

For example, using your mentality let's measure the performance of NZ gold vs NZ stocks in NZD from March 2019 to now....

Gold experienced a 28% return over that period whilst stocks only have had a 24% return. Using your argument - I would win right?

For my personal circumstances... I didn't purchase gold 9 years ago.

I purchased gold on 12 August 2014 at NZD$1,595.90 per ounce. A quick check shows an 8.2% per annum return for me so far.

Property has increased 7.75% per annum over the same period (but I couldn't afford property then) and the average cash deposit return was 2.5% per annum over that period.

I will however freely admit that had I purchased the NZX50 index - it would have returned circa 16.80% pa. But I like to be conservative with the bulk of my funds...especially in this financial climate.

But here's the kicker me old mate - let's measure the above yields again in another 5 years. Care to make any predictions?? sneaky.png

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.