GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Genuine question...do you know how the historic price...

1. 3,109 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 532
    Genuine question...do you know how the historic price performance/value of these relatively recently minted and often unlimited ? issue 'bullion' coins compare to say the price/value performance of old 'bullion' coins eg old gold Aussie or UK sovereigns ? I just had a quick look on eBay and while prices vary widely for the old sovereigns it seems around AUD650 ish will get you set on the garden variety non numismatic bullion type ?....on current gold prices of around AUD3700 with .2354 ? ozs of the ancient relic in them values them at about AUD870 gold content it looks? If I have my numbers right might that be worth a look if anyone is contemplating the bullion coin type exposure ?.. rather than the newer variety where quite heavy premiums are often paid to get set ?

Sorry, but never owned a sovereign coin. I stick to national mints mostly.

Your overall price question is a monster question with many factors and would take many Sunday barbecues to answer (and I'm no expert), but I'll give some recent real-world examples from a SILVER standpoint (only because I tend to flip silver more than gold - though you could apply my learnings to the Gold coins):

• I bought 5 x 2020 Mouse Perth Mint Silver coins in 2020 for ~$220...sold all of them on Ebay this year for $450-$470+.
    • I bought 8 x 2020 Mouse Perth Mint Silver coins in 2020 for ~$86...have sold some of them on Ebay this year for $225+.

FWIW, year of the ox and year of the rabbit coins on Ebay dont seem to have the same demand and price (from experience). I mean you can maybe get 40-50-60% profit.

Lets take another example (and this is my most wisest purchase ever)
    • In 2019 I bought 5 x 5oz 2020 Reverse Libertard silver coins from APMEX for ~172 USD each (see invoice example below). I think that was ~$250AUD converted (but don't quote me on that). I could get $850 AUD today on ebay for that 5oz coin. They are selling up to ~$950.
    • PS, see that 1 oz Geifer Edelmattle coin in the same invoice -----> I sold one recently on Ebay for $94 (inc postage)

In summary
    - all silver and gold goes up, imo
    - some silver and gold goes up way more (limited mintage is a big factor)
    - semi numi coins tend to do real well in terms of price appreciation
    - only from selling experience and keeping a wide variety stack do I have the fortune of knowing which silver makes good profits

Hope that helps.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6108/6108408-c12aedd927134497f7444872d12990f4.jpg
    Last edited by DonaldFrump: 17/04/24

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.