XJO 0.10% 7,767.5 s&p/asx 200

crargA list of technical indicators would be too extensive I...

1. 17,444 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 57
    crarg

A list of technical indicators would be too extensive I think and probably confuse.

I look at all the standard ones plus have my own I designed and then add in the input from those here that have great ideas and applied theories.

In the end I believe there is a degree of "art" in it all.

The art is not so much intuition but staring at these for so long that you have seen it all before not just as single indicators but as combinations and patterns etc.

I believe as you say, you need as much varied anlysis as possible. There is little to be gained from having 6 momentum indicators for instance, which gives a sense of confirmation but really is just duplication.

If you haven't lived it then studying the historical record is so important, to see what extremes are possible and various behaviour at different times.

It can be so easy to have a system that works for 20 years but if it wipes you out in 1 day like 1987 then you wasted a lot of time and money, and having been hit by that event, one question I always ask is, will my system save me from that again. Yes, it may never happen again, but if it does it won't get me.

And yes it also comes down to the time frame traded. I think the most successful daytraders use methods somewhat different to longer term traders.

I believe you can have a myriad of indicators and methods and still be unsuccessfull and you can be McLaren type whose only indicator is volume and be great. It is historical perspective that is probably the most important aspect IMO.

I guess that was not the list you asked for but I hope a better answer.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.