PLS 5.69% $3.16 pilbara minerals limited

Good News & Bad News, page-8304

1. 1,211 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 185

NSW to build mega battery, Eraring closure expedited

Georgie Moore

NSW Treasurer Matt Kean has announced plans for a 700 megawatt battery to help compensate for the expedited closure of Origin Energy’s Eraring coal plant.

The closure of the plant in the NSW Hunter region has been brought forward by seven years to 2025.

“Origin approached me about the possibility of this decision a number of months ago. During that time, we’ve worked to develop a comprehensive plan to deal with the possibility of today’s decision,” Kean tells reporters in Sydney.

“I would have liked this power station to continue running to the end of its life. I want all the power stations to run to the end of their life to give us time to replace capacity.”

Kean says NSW will become home to “the biggest battery in the southern hemisphere” to help free up capacity. He is confident it will be ready in time for Eraring’s 2025 closure.

“The best way to deal with price increases in our electricity system is to build more supply and our electricity infrastructure road map will ensure that that is exactly what occurs,” he says.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.