CCE 0.00% 3.8¢ carnegie clean energy limited

Did anybody bother to analyse the economics of this blowhole...

1. 1,188 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 361
    Did anybody bother to analyse the economics of this blowhole generator? $12m for a 200kW generator [1]. How does that compare to solar or wind? Here's some rubbery numbers (even rubbery numbers are more than enough to show its potential or not).

What is the intermittency for this wave energy generator? I'm guessing maybe 50% (probably much less, but better than solar) so it can generate perhaps 2.4 megawatt-hours of energy per day.

What is the intermittency for solar? Is it about 25% (6 hours per day)? And I'll assume a cost of $10k for a 10kW system (much cheaper actually, but let's favour the wave energy generator) that can generate 60kW-hours per day. So to generate 2.4MW-hours of energy per pay using solar power you'd need 40 x 10kW systems, for a cost of about $400k.

So $400k for a solar system that produces as much energy as this 12 million dollar blowhole energy system. That makes the blowhole energy generator 30 times more expensive than solar, and wind power is generally even cheaper than solar.

Throw in whatever numbers you feel appropriate (I'm sure mine are not correct) but I think you'll still find that, as I have always maintained, this wave energy system is just like the others: it will never be economically viable, and for the very same reasons, nor will anything that CCE helps to produce. Mass-production, economies of scale, I hear you chant? No, that's not likely to result in a 30-times reduction in manufacturing costs, not to mention the deployment costs.

[1] https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-31/wave-power-generator-supplying-king-island-with-electricity/101282070

ABC dot net dot au in case HC nukes the link.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CCE (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.