goodbye young aussie home ownership, page-121

1. 36,618 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Hey JoustingSticks ,

I couldn't agree more in that it must be hard for young couples to get started with city prices the way they are .

That said , I always ask people who in were in this situation 30 years ago and they tell the same story. They reckoned it was just as tough for them . No carpets for a couple of years , sheets for curtains etc .

Of course , it doesn't mean that people have to buy houses that are that expensive . There are options . People actually have choice albeit sometimes difficult . It may mean living further out . It may mean changing your job .

You don't have to buy a 460k house .

Whether people like to believe it or not , they are living better than they ever did . Better houses , better cars , more entertainment etc . There is a perception aspect to this .

I'm not sure you've read the whole thread . With regard to the returns bit , MF and others derailed the thread a bit by saying that property is a poor investment and that the property market is going to crash . Hence , that's how we got to the whole returns/negative gearing thing .

My comment about negative gearing was that doing it excessively is a bad thing imo and you're right , it has nothing to do with the title.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.