I think the no tax on tips thingy may well be a perfect example...

1. 86,886 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I think the no tax on tips thingy may well be a perfect example of how we get to 'a race to the bottom'

One party comes out with a populist idea -------- and populist ideas do grab some votes - there's no argument there - that's why they are called populist

if they involve money or personal benefit - then, the other mob or mobs are really up against it ---------- the only real defence politically against such things is to also run with the populist idea

I've brought up the concept which IMO is crystal clear in Australia and is an incredibly damaging thing for a country or nation - a race to the bottom.

In Australia - it can be seen in cuts - someone proposes a cut to - CSIRO, or University funding or health in some area, or national broadcaster or the national weather service -

these can be spruiked up as very populist moves - picking out examples of waste etc and then promising to cut the waste etc etc

the reality of waste in any government body or any large company is that there are 'always' areas of waste - and always will be.

But, what happens is that parties that promise these popularist ideas - and win government --------- the other mob next time - have gone down the same route - the 'Crocodile Dundee route'

'that's not a cut, THIS is a cut'

and the race is on - and the nation suffers from a cut cut cut mentality -

and what happens ------------ well, the result is a lack of services and the services that one has - are so underfunded that they are very poor quality

and that - is what one sees in Australia now - service quality dropping everywhere ------- a failing system.

The Trump, Harris tipping tax race ----------- same mechanism

Politicians are destroying their nations by using such tactics - it's that simple

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.