CNM carnegie corporation limited

gordon brown wants oil money for wave power

1. 1,592 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 12

Following on from David Cameron, who wants to put "rocket boosters" under wave energy development in the UK, now PM Gordon Brown has chimed in with this below.

What I love is that wave power in the UK is quickly rising to a level of equal prominance with other renewables.

Such comments wont go unnoticed by our politicians. It might even inspire Martin Ferguson, our Resources and Energy minister to follow their lead. Then again, most of the time he does sound like a robot regurgitating half-undigested words, so dont hold your breath for a clearly defined endorsement of wave power from him. We'll probably have better luck with Penny Wong.

PM wants "new deal" with producers

21 June 2008

The PM has called for a "new deal" of mutual investment between oil producers and consumers in order to reduce global dependence on oil and get the supply and demand relationship "back into balance".

Speaking to the Guardian newspaper, Mr Brown said that he hoped to use this weekend's high-level summit on oil in Jeddah to persuade OPEC countries such as Saudi Arabia to invest in renewable energy development in the UK. The Government has set ambitious targets to increase renewable energy supply by 700%, he said.

The PM said:

"Over the next three years I think we will see large investments in Britain in solar, wind power, wave power, nuclear and in expansion of alternatives to oil. The world is going to have to build 1,000 nuclear power stations.

"...everybody knows that underlying what has happened to the oil price is [that] demand is ahead of supply and you've got to do something about that. Global change is the dominant force in that."

Mr Brown will leave the UK later today to attend the international summit in Saudi Arabia on Sunday afternoon.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CNM (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.