Hi guys and galsI've just read through this thread quite...

1. 18,431 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 187
    Hi guys and gals

I've just read through this thread quite coincidentally, and in my opinion and observing a change in weather pattern in Australia and on my numerous overseas trips, I am convinced something is seriously amiss with our world. Whether it is man-induced or not, we are definitely experiencing a change in climate.

IF we can help postpone drought, fire, rising sea-levels, or at least be better prepared for it, be it through more local behaviour, doing our bit with greener habits (where are those cheap solar cells BTW?), or even putting a price on it, and paying for it, I am all for it. What's more, the energy industry wants to have this issue resolved as well, so they can get on and develop new business models involving a tax on energy - (I recently heard CEOs of RIO and ORG voice this opinion on Radio National).

As far as the 'opinion makers' of our public media are concerned: my view is that never before has there been so much information available to so many. It's just a matter of being selective. There are amazing radio programs (Radio National), books, interesting fora, websites to read and research; even googling the daily news will give you different opinions.

The news on the 'normal' TV channels is humdrum and pathetic, BUT there is SBS, there are great current affairs interviewers, and so many documentaries (recently there was one on money, which was brilliant) - so there is no need to be a convinced 'flat earth' believer, unless you close your eyes and ears, never do any gardening or farming, never travel, and just behave like the proverbial ostrich.

To believe that people's activities do not influence our climate is disregarding the fact that there are now billions and billions of us humans - we are like a cancer on this planet and we will make it ill, like it or not. So, we will have to get back to some basic belt tightening, particularly in regard to the use of energy and water. We will have to fight our addiction to the motor car and - maybe there are better and more precious things to make from oil than pouring it into our motor cars! We need to conserve this finite resource!!

Perhaps we should disregard our politicians - ALL politicians and begin to think for ourselves how we can individually make a difference, and put in some action plans on the home front and on the local level. What is going on in politics at the moment is at best comedy - and - I suspect I will have to include the Copenhagen Talkfest in this genre; but I'm willing to await the outcome.

To all you 'flat earthists'; keep believing everything is o.k. - after all the majority of people want to believe this, but if you have the slightest doubt, that MAYBE we are to blame, or at least can do something about it, please, get that bike, or walk, talk to your local Council about every issue which might help (harvesting rainwater for example, proper rubbish use, shared solar cells) local jobs etc. etc. start THINKING, DOING something and stop being in denial.

Cheers

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.