I agree, the overreach potential is huge!! it would be a...

1. 3,496 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1040
    I agree, the overreach potential is huge!! it would be a minefield piece of legislation that’s for sure.. And I don’t think our governments are in a position right now to legislate this, there’s not enough trust in them to do the right thing..

But something needs to be done, is it a case of not the 100 points of ID to open an account, but at the source, a licence to use the internet? Your isp provided ip address has your drivers licence number linked as a very broad example..

And I dread to pull the covid debate into this post as it’s not on topic, but to be fair, to use the argument of “you wear a seatbelt” or “you drive a car” when discussing the point of mandating vaccinations, the same point is also relevant to licence internet users.. the two aren’t mutually exclusive in such discussions..

However, it will also provide a punitive measure and hold those individuals, cohorts and companies to account not only for trolling, but also the spread of misinformation, financial scammers, black market antics etc etc..

It would be a dangerous piece of legislation, and it would need a number of stop gates in place to make it work..

Again I don’t think it’s something that either can, or should be implemented in the current world political climate..

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.