LIES LIES LIES AND MORE LIES KEVIN RUDDFamiles in WA are...

1. 722 Posts.
    LIES LIES LIES AND MORE LIES KEVIN RUDD
    Familes in WA are becomming everyday more and more angrier.
    Our jobs from our employers we have been told are to go if the tax gets through. You lie that the tax will only hit excutives, you lie Kevin Rudd it will affect my job here in perth, my husband who works up north, my children.
    Every person I know who works in resources or works in perth will be affected.
    You lie Kevin Rudd, we are seeing over 450,000 workers to be instantly unemployed with no projects in WA, as for all the rest of the supporting business (double of the unemployed figure), God help us under Rudd we will be in the biggest depression that Australia has never been through. We have written letters to the media to show the unemployed that can be under the RSPT they are too scared to print. It will scaremonger the market. Yet at work we already have been told.

Miner calls in watchdog over Rudd's ad Michael Bennet From: The Australian June 07, 2010 2:14PM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share
    Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these?A JUNIOR West Australian miner has complained to the competition watchdog about controversial government advertisements promoting the proposed resource super-profits tax.
    Jonathan Downes, managing director of Greenland-focused Ironbark Zinc, said he lodged an online complaint to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission last week over the advertisements' claim that Australians received $1 of every $7 of mining profits by the end of the last mining boom.

Mining giant Rio Tinto last week also accused the Rudd government of using misleading information in the $38m taxpayer-funded campaign.

Mr Downes said the ACCC had not responded, but he called on the government to apologise for the "deceptive" and "misleading" claims.

"It's gobsmacking that they can make claims like this and there's no recourse," he said. "If it was another company that lodged this, they would be obliged to make an apology in a similar-sized advertisement in the same papers in the same prominent position.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    "In a perfect world, I'd love to see the government apologise."

Mr Downes said he had been advised by Fortescue Metals boss Andrew Forrest that the Trade Practices Act excludes the federal government, "which is essentially a licence to lie".

Mr Forrest has been one of the most prominent opponents of the proposed tax, along with BHP Billiton chief Marius Kloppers, Rio Tinto boss Tom Albanese and, more recently, Gina Rinehart and Future Fund chief David Murray.

Mr Downes said talks with his European and US investors had shown that the tax would hurt foreign investment in Australia.

"They will be reviewing how they invest in Australia," he said.

"It just goes right to the heart of what sovereign risk is.

"This resource tax is very, very similar to what Mongolia tried to unleash on Ivanhoe in the form of a 50 per cent tax, and really when we're following the lead from countries like Mongolia I think it's a huge concern."

Ivanhoe Australia last month said the Rudd government should take heed of Mongolia's failed profits tax, canned in August last year after the government realised it was hurting the mining sector. Mr Downes said he felt compelled to speak out against the tax, because other directors with assets in Australia were more limited in fighting the tax.

"I live in WA and understand the impact that this (tax) will have. I also know what company executives can't tell their shareholders about how bad it really is," he said.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.