URANIUM 1.02% $24.70 uranium futures

govt might repeal nuclear laws

1. 2,547 Posts.

Govt might repeal nuclear laws: Minister
    Email Print Normal font Large font June 3, 2007 - 6:29PM

Advertisement
    AdvertisementThe federal government is considering repealing laws that currently prevent a nuclear energy industry in Australia, Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane says.

The establishment of commercial nuclear power reactors, which the government favours as a way of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, requires changes to laws governing the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) and the environment.

Mr Macfarlane said that if Australia were to have a public education campaign, as planned, it should also have the legislative ability to put a nuclear industry in place.

"We're certainly looking at whether or not that's do-able in the sense that I'm currently involved in four work plans and I'll report back to cabinet by September in terms of that," he told Network Ten.

"It does require amendments both to the ARPANSA Act and also to the EPBC (Environment Protection and Biodiversity) Act, and that is our goal.

"It is to say okay, we're going to have a public information campaign, we're going to ensure that on the basis of a debate we are able to step forward from that debate with confidence and therefore ensure that these laws are repealed, so if the Australian people say 'Yes' we can, in fact, move forward in the nuclear cycle."

Prime Minister John Howard, in his address to the Liberal Party's federal council in Sydney, again stressed the need for a nuclear industry to counter climate change.

"Australia should not pay higher energy costs than necessary to achieve emissions reductions," he said.

"In other words, governments need to let the market sort out the most efficient means of lowering emissions with all low emissions technologies on the table, and that of necessity must include nuclear power."

Meanwhile, Western Australian Premier Alan Carpenter said nuclear power stations would be banned in his state by legislation aimed at thwarting the prime minister's nuclear push.

Mr Carpenter said the legislation would prohibit the construction or operation of a nuclear facility, the transportation of certain material to a nuclear facility site and the connection of nuclear generation works to electricity transmission or distribution systems.

He said new technology was the answer to climate change challenges, not nuclear power.

"We are confident that new technology, such as geothermal, can be the future for this state," Mr Carpenter said.

"I'm absolutely certain John Howard's nuclear future is not for WA.

"I totally reject the argument that nuclear power is the Australian answer to the climate change challenge."

© 2007 AAP
    Brought to you by

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add URANIUM (NYMEX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.