govts assault on free speech, page-17

1. 8,980 Posts.
    I think it's a stupid and dangerous idea. Does this make me a "right winger?"
    Garbage!
    Firstly, there's no such thing as a "free speech." Everyone knows that human behaviour -either orally or by deed- has its legal and moral limitations. The world would simply be chaotic if everyone could say anything they want without regarding the sensitivities of others or thinking about endangering others. I would not be "free" for example to divulge the name of a suspect before due judicial process; nor would I be allowed to divulge facts that have to do with the security of a person or a nation. I am also not allowed to insult anyone -either the person or religion or race or colour.
    These are just simple and obvious restrictions on speech. There are a great many more. Historians have been jailed for expressing their opinions about certain events.
    We, in HC, thankfully moderate posts that fall under certain categories.
    It's how a society, a community, a household can stay within the bounds of civilised behaviour. The opposite would be worse than a wild and unpredictable jungle. A place where only the most powerful survives. No thanks.
    Even in the smallest unit, laws need to be made and understood so that the unit can thrive together. The bigger the unit, the greater the number of laws and the greater the severity of breaking them because the greater the number affected by the breaking of those laws.

I believe we need laws to protect us from exploitation: sex, employment, religion, trade, etc.
    Here, I believe, the Gov't is racing ahead of the law, in trying to establish the punishment before the law is broken and that is my objection. By all means, punish a culprit. But make the law first and then send out the cops to catch those who break it. Do not impose a blanket curfew on the whole internet just because some of its users play foul. By all means, warn and educate the population about the dangers posed by these practitioners but then, sit back and let the cops do their work.
    Apart from that, I also don't believe for a moment that screening sites will work. I don't believe it can and I don't think it will.
    Also, my cynical brain tells me that this could well be the thin edge of the wedge and it could well be used by nasty, subversive... lefties! lol

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.