'Grease" the movie is judged offensive

1. 5,170 Posts.
    Grease called out for racism, homophobia and vicious bullying by furious viewers
    Grease was called “racist, rapey and homophobic” after it was aired on BBC1 on Boxing Day, with some viewers saying it should never be shown on TV again.

Viewers picked up on character Vince Fontaine, a fictional radio announcer, declaring in the dance-off scene that no same-sex couples were allowed to take part.

One viewer took to Twitter and said: “All couples must be boy/girl? Well Grease, shove your homophobia.”

The film is set in 1959, before any US states had decriminalised homosexuality. However, by 1978 when the film was made, 16 states had decriminalised same-sex sexual activity.

The announcer, played by Edd Byrnes, has also been criticised for flirting with character Marty, one of the members of the Pink Ladies and a literal teenager.

In an extremely unsurprising response, some are calling critics of Grease ‘snowflakes‘

The film has long been slammed for sexism and misogyny, particularly in the characters’ slut-shaming attitudes towards Rizzo.

Various characters in the film judge Rizzo for sleeping with T-Bird Kenickie without a condom. In her iconic solo song, she sings, “There are worse things I could do than go with a boy or two.”

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/01/04/grease-racism-homophobia-bullying-bbc-john-travolta-olivia-newton-john-ban/

More than a few twitter users who condemned the movie were reported as youthful. I wonder if they are the same youthful people who turn up to watch the very talented** Miley Cyrus perform her songs. There is a good chance that Miley's vagina will will be the star of her concert. I don't see people taking to twitter to condemn Ms Cyrus and her vagina.

Miley Cyrus, Flaming Lips Plan Naked Concert for Music Video

Musicians, audience to be stripped bare, covered with “white stuff that looks like milk” for “Milky Milky Milk” clip

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/miley-cyrus-flaming-lips-plan-naked-concert-for-music-video-227108/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.