great news that gillard won!, page-4

1. 2,158 Posts.
    Hello Obiter,

I see your point, if you want rid of the ALP this is good news. The people wanted Rudd and his stellar performance with the press in just two days gave them a taste of what might have been. His masterful spin and attack on Abbott even reversed the polls on a party in a complete implosion.

I am bemused that Oakshot comes out and threatens to not support Rudd thereby forcing many to vote for JG. Election or stick with JG what do you pick there? So it is the faceless men and the balance of power again tweaking Australia and even a leadership ballot in the ALP in my opinion.

Abbott is not liked either - too far to the right how come the Libs can't see that? We need a statesman that puts the people first. We need a party that puts the people first. I despair for the sake of Australia - a fantastic country that it comes to this. Our opportunity is being squandered as we get sold out yet again.

I have obviously not taken sides here, just an observer.

One thing that irks the hell out of me however is when I hear the ALP take credit for the strong performance of Australia during the GFC. The Libs paid off Australia's Federal debt by late 2007. Last count as of Feb 8th 2012 $144B in just over 4 years.

Remember due to the structure of our economy in mining and Agriculture the GDP is skewed to very large transactions. The tax set up however skews the burden to PAYE workers. The debt to GDP is therefore somewhat mus-representative and this makes the $144B far worse than it appears.

The ALP could not have spent this much if the Libs had not put us in the position of "clean balance sheet" before they took power.

Any idiot can spend too much money and "look" good it is superficial success. You cannot print wealth but you can buy capacity to produce and infrastructure with debt. Did this happen? Was the capital created by the debt debt wisely managed?

Aussies deserve better than what our collective pollies are delivering - despite the best efforts from the quality people on both sides.

Please excuse the rant.
    CW

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.