Greatest legacies to the future.

1. 1,280 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 310
    Spoiler alert - this is not a discussion about religion.

With all the time available at the moment I have been doing some very deep thinking. Philosophical, altruistic, meaning of life and what is really important (to me).

I suddenly realised that while money provides many benefits, money is far from being the most important thing and in the grand scheme of life, it is soon forgotten.
    If I asked you who was the richest man in the world in the 15th century I don't think any one would know but if I mention Da Vinci then the majority of people know of him and at least some of his creations.
    If I asked you who was the richest person in the world in 16th century, again I don't think anyone would know but if I mention the name Michelangelo then many know his name and creations.
    In the 20th century, long after people have forgotten the name of Andrew Carnegie the name of Picasso while still be remembered and revered.

In the end what is important is the enrichment that creative genius brings to the human race. Great art, magnificent writing, creative innovation, brilliant architecture etc. Things that bring us pleasure, make us think, stimulate our views and enhance our experience are what has longevity and become the property and legacy to all humans.

Money serves the individual but great and creative artistic endeavours serves all of mankind. I like the idea that in the end, cultural enhancement is what lasts.

I have started doing oil painting and seem to have some aptitude for it. I think I will improve over time and may eventually become good at it. It thrills me to think that in 2 or 3 hundred years something that I did may still exist and even be valued. Because let's face it, after my grand kids become old and have had their time I will be forgotten just like the majority of those who came before us. It is pure vanity but I would like to have something I do last into the future.
    I am not being morose but am thinking that I spent all my life working and chasing money. Caught in the cycle of life. Now that I am retired I can finally do something for my self and I am really enjoying that.

regards to all.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.