Thanks for your thoughts. Yes Popular Alm was great winning a...

1. 189 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes Popular Alm was great winning a Miracle Mile and Hunter Cup.

Let me run this past you (not knowing how old you are).

In 1960 I saw a horse called Caduceus win the Interdominion at Harold Park. At the time he was one of my idols along with Tulloch. He won prize money of f100,000 ($200,000). At the time only 3 horses in Aus/NZ won that amount of money they being Caduceus (standardbred) Tulloch and Sailors Guise (both thoroughbreds).

3 years later in 1963 I saw Cardigan Bay win races at Harold Park, but did not see his Interdominion win in Adelaide. That year his earnings amassed $1M although he did race in the US. At the time only 9 horses WORLDWIDE had earnt that amount will him being the only standardbred the other 8 thoroughbreds. The difference in prize money is incredible mainly because he was racing among the best in the US. I am not comparing prize money the fact is he raced the worlds best and beat them.

Our Sir Vancelot and I'm The Mighty Quinn have both won 3 interdominions while Natalies horse Blacks A Fake won 4.

I would not consider any of those 3 as the BEST EVER. If I owned any one of them that would be a different story.

As I said there is no way of comparing horses from the past with the present but I will say CARDIGAN BAY would take some beating. He probably would even get my vote over LAZARUS at this stage. We still have the Miracle Mile to come.

We could debate this for hours even years. Everyone will have their own opinion.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.