greenland melting:antarctic no snow, page-13

1. 3,816 Posts.
    re: tuvalu soon:gold coast next healyn writes:

"Freshwater is more dense than salt water, so it is sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Where else would it go? And because there is more water there it is pressing down on the crust there and pushing up islands like Tuvelu. I reckon my theory is as good as anybody elses. "

This is a good example of the misinformation being put out on global warming. I came across the same argument at Physics Today, and it was refuted as follows:

"Comiso and Parkinson reply: Lasse Kivioja is correct that deglaciation leads to isostatic adjustments that would affect sea level, that these adjustments would vary regionally, and that full melting of the Greenland ice sheet would take considerable time. However, the 7.2-m estimated sea-level rise for a full deglaciation of Greenland is the same value tabulated by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, with the specific indication that “sea level rise equivalent is calculated with allowance for isostatic rebound.”1 Any such estimates involve approximations and sizable error bars, but the 7.2-m value should be correct at least to first order."

The internet presents a great problem for the skeptics, as there are now many sites rebutting their arguments. e.g. www.realclimate.org
    , so I guess that it is a better strategy for skeptics to present their arguments as original ideas least they be shown to be recycling long refuted ones.

Billy

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.