I wonder what will become of "keep the b@stards honest" party...

1. 814 Posts.
    I wonder what will become of "keep the b@stards honest" party this election?

Democrats push for republic vote
    Posted 4 hours 31 minutes ago
    Updated 4 hours 8 minutes ago

The Australian Democrats are trying to re-ignite the republic debate as part of their election campaign.

They are calling for another plebiscite to coincide with Prime Minister John Howard's planned Reconciliation Referendum in 2009.

Today is the eighth anniversary of Australia's last referendum in 1999, when the proposal for Australia to become a republic was rejected.

Democrats Senator Natasha Stott Despoja says although the issue has been ignored by the major parties, she is confident there is growing support for another debate.

"I think it's very concerning that the two major parties are too scared to comment on issues affecting our constitutional future," she said.

"I suspect it's part of their small target strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if they're too scared to debate constitutional issues of reform, even though they are an important part of the national discourse and our nation's future."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/06/2082449.htm

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.