The federal government has been dancing around this issue for...

1. 35,008 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    The federal government has been dancing around this issue for over a decade.

Whether it is a carbon tax, Turnbull's NEG or whatever, business has been asking for a mechanism for more than ten years. Asking for some kind of certainty so that they can invest with confidence for the long term.

I don't even recall them asking for subsidies specifically. I recall the BCA asking for the government to just get out of the way so that they could get on with it.

Because that didn't happen ( and still hasn't ) , we have ended up with this system imbalance. Further complicating that, we had state governments going rogue adding further pressure to the system.

I agree that there should have been an integrated plan that helped match the grid to the new generation so that we could have a much smoother transition. Better for the customers. Better for the existing generators. Better for the new players.

Even to this day, the federal government is refusing to nominate an emission reduction target for 2050 despite every state in Australia having their own individual one. That doesn't work so well when you have a national grid.

So, here we are. Making progress but doing it the hard way.

It's pretty obvious where the world is going now with respect to low emission power. I don't know why we can't just get on with it. mad.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.