PDN 0.07% $13.99 paladin energy ltd

guess what?, page-46

1. 451 Posts.
    Support for nuclear power stations growing, claims Energy Minister

By Anika Bourley

Last updated at 13:13, Thursday, 06 October 2011

Support for new nuclear power stations in the UK has actually gone up since the Fukushima disaster, Charles Hendry has said.

The Energy Minister said despite the Japanese catastrophe halting the nuclear programme in Germany, polls had shown support for the energy source in the UK has increased, he told a fringe meeting at the Conservative conference in Manchester.

Mr Hendry said: “Fukushima was a massive wake-up call and reminds us we can never rely on just one technology.

“But on public opinion, I think it has been quite extraordinary to see the reaction since Fukushima.

“A number of opinion polls have shown support has risen. There is more support than in France and more political consensus, which is quite remarkable.

“I think that is because they understand the magnitude of our energy challenge – they like the idea of a mix of technologies and they see the need to get on with it.”

Energy Secretary Chris Huhne ordered a report from the Chief Nuclear Inspector Mike Weightman on the implications for the UK of events at Fukushima power station after the earthquake and tsunami devastated the Japanese plant.

Mr Hendry said demand for electricity would go up sharply in the 2020s, and nuclear was a fundamental building block in meeting it. He added: “Other technologies are important, but we are absolutely persuaded that nuclear should be part of our future.”

http://www.in-cumbria.com/support-for-nuclear-power-stations-growing-claims-energy-minister-1.885279?referrerPath=final-farewell-for-emlyn-s-mother-anne-1.877032

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PDN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$13.99
Change
0.010(0.07%)
Mkt cap ! $4.182B
Open High Low Value Volume
$13.78 $14.02 $13.62 $27.61M 1.999M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 198 $13.99

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$14.00 5278 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PDN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.