Ok I'll reprhrase it. I should have written that we don't know...

1. 13,270 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 39
    Ok I'll reprhrase it. I should have written that we don't know that most gun deaths are by illicit firearms.

But I concede that it is more likely than not. Bikie gangs using licit, licensed firearms to shoot each other? Hightly unlikely. This is three years old, but I doubt things have change much in that time.

"THERE is a gun battle going on in Australia. As bikie gang members and drug dealers gun each other down on a regular basis, sending fear through the community, authorities seem to be fighting a losing battle to keep firearms out of their hands.
    Without scaremongering, here are the facts:
    * There have been 39 people shot in Sydney this year, most related to an ongoing bikie war.
    * Conservative estimates say there are more than a quarter-of-a-million illegal firearms in Australia.
    * Gun ownership in Australia is back at pre-Port Arthur massacre levels.
    * Carrying a gun is becoming more common and ingrained in outlaw culture.
    * Gun amnesties barely put a dent in the number of weapons.
    * Innocent people are being caught up in gun battles.
    * There has been a steady increase in gun-related crimes over the past seven years.
    But ..
    * Our rate of gun-related deaths is decreasing. Latest figures show guns account for just 1.06 deaths per 100,000 compared to 10.3 per 100,000 in the United States.
    So far this year, there have been 39 people shot on Sydney's streets. Fourteen of those were in July. Two men were shot dead this week. One had survived another shooting just days before being killed."

http://www.news.com.au/national/is-...-of-a-gun-crisis/story-fncynjr2-1226690018325

And I found this enlightening: relative frequency of weapon (firearm or knife) used in homicides:

Firearms and Knoves.JPG

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide/weapon.html
    Last edited by greenhart: 07/04/16

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.