Did a bit more research and it seems that 30% commission for...

1. 850 Posts.
    Did a bit more research and it seems that 30% commission for halal chocolate sales is a myth. However it does look like there might be a a few thriving businesses specializing in halal certification which includes ongoing checking and fees.

At first glance, one could think that non-Muslims are making a contribution through small additional prices to allow Muslims to ensure they can follow their religion. On the other hand, islam is so widely spread that economy of scale, including exports, could actually enable slightly lower retail prices.

There are obviously other non religious reasons for ensuring products meet additional standards, eg certifying no nuts, eggs, artificial colours, low fat, low sugar etc. So it would be a hard call to put islamic requirements in a special unwanted category.

I am not a Muslim and I have no objection to its classification as one of the worlds major religions. At the same time I would like to see the Australian way of life and political / legal system retained.

2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.