XJO 0.58% 8,091.9 s&p/asx 200

hard commodity stocks tanking ag roaring, page-11

1. 13,176 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 25
    Essentials Gann ... essentials

Food Prices Expected to Rise 50 Percent More (Thanks to Hedge Job)

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the food cost increase to rise nearly 50 percent more than the overall rate of inflation based on the consumer price index.

HOLLY NOTE: We have posted articles continuously for the past several months detailing depletion of US and global grain reserves to record lows, grain thefts in Kansas, food shortages, rising food prices and resulting food riots, in hopes that you are getting this message: As tough as it might be right now, this is definitely the time to purchase significant food stocks. Consider taking Pres. Bush's $800/person rebate and invest it in food storage instead of blowing it.

When reading news articles, it is our hope you'll read beyond the headlines and hear the unspoken message - a quiet urging to prepare.

The Midwest is at the heart of our wheat and corn production. All it will take is one bad drought - which Iowa expects - and our food supplies will take a serious hit. Should gas prices continue to escalate, there will come a point when truckers are unable to make a living and simply have to shut down. This, too, will make ALL food prices jump to due scarcity. Shortages are already showing up in certain parts of the country and around the world. Check this email:

I wanted to write and let you know about my shopping experience today. I live near Hickory, NC, a city of 37,000. My home burned in October and I am literally having to start over from scratch. I have been back online for only a few weeks but heard you urging folks to get food NOW. I decided to take the day off and do just that. WOW, was I shocked. I used to go buy in bulk at Aldi with no problem. Today, I had a hard time finding enough of the items I wanted. Some items were not in stock at all. I almost took every can in the store of certain soups and fruits. Then went to another grocery store to stock up on green beans and corn. Same story, I just about took every can on the shelves. It wasn't that I bought so very much, it was that there was so very little stock on the shelves. It reminded me of hearing you say, "There will come a day when a person will have money to buy the items, but there will be none to buy." I hope people will hear this and "WAKE UP." This is very serious!

Blessings
    Chris

To help with your food storage, please download the Deyo Food Storage Planner which works in Excel for Mac or Windows. It's FREE software and is available in either US measurements or metric.

Stock up heavily now - buy in bulk - and pack for long-term storage any grain products and foods you regularly consume. It's easy, it's great insurance and will save you loads of money in the long run. The longer you delay, prices are only going to escalate, your options will dwindle, along with selection.

Procrastination is our favorite form of self-sabotage. — Alyce P. Cornyn-Selby, American author

related: FAO Sees Record World Food Prices Staying
    Forget Oil, the New Global Crisis is Food
    Food Inflation and Food Shortages
    Food ... and How It's Going to Change the World
    Potential Drought Predicted for Iowa and What That Means for Food Supplies
    Food Prices to Continue to Climb in 2008
    Tight Supply May Hit Grain Stability
    Fears Over Food Price Inflation
    Australian Food Prices to Skyrocket
    Saudi Food Prices Seen Up 30% in '08
    US Farms Data Feed Cereal Price Hike Fears
    Grains Likely to be More Volatile
    ‘Panic Buying’ in the Grain Markets
    UN Warns Biofuels Could Limit Food Supply

January 23, 2008
    By Laura Chapuis
    Columbia Missourian

COLUMBIA — Consumers all over the world can expect to pay more for food in coming years.

The Economic Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture expects prices to rise another 4 percent this year. If the projected increase for 2008 proves true, consumers will see the highest increase in food prices since 1990.

With commodity prices hitting record levels and energy costs increasing, retailers must make up for the difference in the form of higher food costs.

MU Agricultural Economics professor Joe Parcell credits several factors for the rise in food prices: exports, feed use, biofuels.

Parcell blames the weak dollar and exports that are driven by a strong global economy.

“The weak dollar is causing $4 a bushel of corn to look as cheap, for foreign buyers, as $2.50 a bushel of corn from a few years ago,” he said. “I don’t think anyone could have guessed that exports would be so strong.”

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the food cost increase to rise nearly 50 percent more than the overall rate of inflation based on the consumer price index.

The index measures the average change in prices paid by urban consumers for a market basket of goods and services, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Web site. It may not reflect every consumer’s experience because not everyone spends money the same way.

In the U.S., consumers spend about 10 percent of income on food. In emerging economies, consumers might spend more than 60 percent of income on food, Parcell said.

“The U.S. dollar is very cheap, so many around the globe still see American commodities as cheap,” he said. “Also, because the global — and not just the U.S. economy — is very strong, food still looks cheap.”

In November 2007, prices for all food were already up 4.8 percent from November 2006. Consumers saw beef prices jump 4.9 percent in 2007. While pork prices did decrease a small percentage, they were still 2 percent higher than the 2006 level. Egg prices continue to rise and are now 34.8 percent above the 2006 prices.

Consumers who have noticed that milk prices are increasing are right. Dairy products have reached nearly 14 percent higher costs compared to last year’s prices, while milk is up 20 percent — costing around $3.66 a gallon for whole milk.

Five local grocery stores were contacted but would not comment on how they would make up for the cost increases.

Another factor that could play a role in the food cost increase is the recently signed ethanol bill. On Dec. 19, President Bush signed into law a bill that requires automobile manufacturers to increase fuel efficiency to an average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020 and pushes up production of ethanol from six billion to 36 billion gallons a year by 2022.

Last year, some U.S. farmers began devoting more acreage to corn to meet the demand, making corn prices more inflation-demand driven. The 2007 U.S. corn acreage is 18.6 percent greater than that of 2006, according to National Agricultural Statistics Service.

Brian Martin, a Centralia farmer and MU agricultural systems management student, said that he does not expect them to change much this year.

“We will probably stay with our normal rotation and not change our corn acres,” Martin said.

Kim Viera of the Boone County Farm Service Agency said the county may have seen a slight increase in corn acreage last year. She does not expect farmers to increase the amount of corn they plant based on the new ethanol bill. Instead, higher commodity prices could spur the effort to plant more corn.

The biofuels mandate, which calls for 15 billion gallons a year of corn-based ethanol and 21 billion gallons of “advanced biofuels” that are made from other plants, is expected to continue to drive up the price of corn.

“Personally, I do not see the global demand for commodities or food slowing down in the next five to seven years,” Parcell said. “I do believe, however, that we will see a commodity price plateau in the next two to three years. Instead of a U.S. average corn price of $2.50 per bushel, we need to get used to a average price of $3.75 to $4 a bushel.”

Sonya Addison, a Columbia resident and MU medical student, said she has already noticed price increases.

“I’m always looking for a good sale on meat and buying more and freezing the extra,” Addison said.

She said she tries to watch her spending by buying generic brands, more canned fruit than fresh and half-gallons of milk to make sure less goes to waste.

“Every penny really counts,” she said.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/01/09/food-prices-expected-rise/

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.