I too am a child of migrants. We waited 3 year to be approved....

1. 269 Posts.
    I too am a child of migrants. We waited 3 year to be approved. My parents were 'New Australians' It took a long time to be Australian. It took a long time not to be made fun of for the way we spoke and the way we dressed. We learned to joke back, as we came to realise that most of the banter was well meaning. We embraced the Australian way of life. My parents never took a Govt dollar or pound my Dad was proud to boast, neither have my family, beyond the child endowment (as it was then) when my children were small. Found the book the other day, wasn't much but neither were wages back then. My Father often had to travel away to work and during the 60's went to Vic to find work leaving his family behind. He was a bricklayer and work was hard out in the elements of South Australia's north. Hard , good, honest work. He was proud to be Australian, as are his 3 children, and 12 grandchildren and 10 great grand children (and building). We all embrace the Australian way, the Australian flag, our democracy (with iffy politicians) our beach going with scantily dressed sun lovers (some are lifesavers), we just ask that all new comers do the same.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.